When you are sick or injured abroad
March 15, 2018
Nobody plans to get sick or hurt while traveling, which means that almost nobody plans ahead for what they would do if it happens. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, however, recommends that every traveler planning a trip abroad have such a plan.
This is especially true for pregnant women, anyone with a preexisting condition, seniors, or those who are planning an extended stay in another country. But really, it’s a good idea for everyone. Once abroad, it can be difficult to figure out how to find a doctor to treat a specific type of illness or injury. Further, there may be a language barrier. And payment will most likely be an issue, as doctors and clinics usually expect upfront payment.
The three keys to a good pre-trip emergency plan
- Buy travel medical insurance. A plan like SafeTrip Travel Protection from UnitedHealthcare Global means you will have one number to call and ready access to appropriate care no matter what happens on your trip. And, you’ll have help in paying for care at the time of service.
- Pack a simple travel first aid kit. Buy a pre-packaged kit or make your own. Be sure to include bandage strips, gauze, surgical tape, small scissors, tweezers, antiseptic wipes, antibacterial cream, and over-the-counter pain medications.
- Write your key facts on a card. List your blood type, any medications you are taking, your chronic conditions, and any allergies you have. Keep this card on your person at all times while traveling.
Get help right away for these three things
- A car accident, even if you feel fine afterwards
- Diarrhea with a fever over 102 degrees
- Any animal, bird or reptile bite
How SafeTrip Travel Protection can help
With an affordable SafeTrip Travel Protection plan, just call the toll-free number on your ID card. Trained specialists are here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, wherever you are in the world.
Our Emergency Response Center will help you:
- locate a doctor, clinic or hospital nearby capable of treating your specific illness or injury
- handle payment at the time of service
- deal with language differences that may make receiving care difficult
- review the quality of care you are receiving
- make emergency travel arrangements in case your illness or injury warrants it
UnitedHealthcare Global SafeTrip is by your side, worldwide.
Selecting the right plan is quick and easy using our simple form.