According to the Vision Council of America, roughly 75% of U.S. adults wear eyeglasses or contact lenses. That means three out of four people in every planeload of passengers leaving the country need to pack, care for and safeguard their eyewear while traveling.
Set yourself up for success by following a few simple guidelines. Prepared travel starts with knowing your prescription and packing it along with your other paperwork. If your eyewear needs replacement unexpectedly, you’ll be ready with the right information.
Bring a repair kit, including a tiny screwdriver, and a lens cloth. Carrying a dedicated cleaning cloth in your carry-on keeps you from scratching your lenses with a paper napkin or shirt sleeve. For contact lenses, bring a travel-size contact lens solution and your contact lens case.
Tips for traveling with prescription eyewear
- Bring an extra pair of glasses, even if you wear contact lenses. If the worst happens, you’ll have a backup. Keep one pair of glasses with you and one in your checked bag.
- Buy a decent hard case and keep your glasses in it when they aren’t on your face. Make sure it’s a snug fit – not so loose that they slide around and not so tight that you need to force the case to close.
- Before you go to bed at night in a hotel, put your glasses in their case and put the case in your suitcase. You don’t want to leave them behind by mistake.
- When you are out and about, remember that wearing your glasses on your head is a great way to lose them. Bend over and you may see them drop into the water or over the railing.
- For beach time, use a neck strap with your prescription sunglasses to prevent loss.
How SafeTrip Travel Protection can help
If your corrective lenses are lost, stolen or broken during your trip, SafeTrip can help. With a SafeTrip Travel Protection plan, you will get help in finding a local provider and getting the replacement you need. Simply call the 24-hour Emergency Response Center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at the number on your SafeTrip ID card.
Get started with a free quote
Selecting the right plan is quick and easy using our simple form.