Top winter travel vacations: sun vs. snow?
February 24, 2023
As everyone settles into their midwinter routine, a nagging thought might start to tickle the back of your mind: it might be time for a getaway. But then comes the question: Where to go for a winter holiday? It all depends on whether you’re looking for the best places for winter sun, or want to play in the fresh cold air at the best ski resorts. Either way, be sure to include travel insurance in your planning to provide a little help in case of little hitches or unexpected problems.
The best winter sun destinations
If you’re in the camp that looks for relaxation, sandy beach-style, there is no shortage of popular winter travel-approved escapes. In the U.S., Florida and Hawaii have a lock on being the most-wanted destinations for snowbirds, whether for a short getaway or a longer break. You aren’t limited to lying on a beach: warm destinations give you the options of mountain climbing, paragliding, scuba diving and more.
If your budget and schedule allow, you can explore international beach destinations with unique features, including:
- Sydney, Australia: Surf at Bondi Beach or kayak through Sydney Harbor
- St. Lucia in the Caribbean: Laze on soft white beaches and sink into volcanic mud baths
- Hanoi, Vietnam: Split your time between sun and sand and rich cultural experiences
- The coasts of Costa Rica: Explore every inch from the desert north to the lush south
- Turks & Caicos islands: Find your favorite secluded spot, with 100 islands to choose from
- Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: The top two are so famous, they’re in songs: Copacabana and Ipanema
- Phuket, Thailand: Clear waters, fun nightclubs, and outstanding shopping bring devoted fans
Love to play in the cold?
Whether you’re a snowboarder looking for new slopes to shred or just love embracing winter, there are destinations around the world where playing in the snow is practically an art form. Choose a new adventure to see how different cultures spend half their year, including dog sledding, snowshoeing and ice fishing — or treat yourself to more traditional escapes such as a quiet holiday in a snowy cabin or jumping on a pair of skis.
Ready to bundle up for a good time? Check out these destinations that offer a plus-up to a ski getaway:
- Quebec City, Canada: Ice canoeing, an ice palace and more at a must-see winter carnival
- Jackson Hole, Wyoming: Rustic and remote, yet offering exceptional skiing and dining
- Lake Tahoe, California/Nevada: The birthplace of extreme skiing now offers hills for every skill level
- Whistler, Canada: Breathtaking views and tons of snow, plus a lift capacity that maximizes your ski day
- Park City, Utah: Love the feeling of floating through powder? Fresh snow abounds at this destination
- The Swiss/French Alps: A truly unique skiing experience, with fine-dining chalets dotting the runs
- Aspen, Colorado: It’s where the elite meet and greet — you might share a lift with a celebrity!
- Niseko or Rusutsu, Japan: Insider tip—skiing in Japan means tons of fresh powder and glam après fun
Enjoy your escape knowing there’s a just-in-case plan
Whether you’re choosing an active adventure or just enjoying some new scenery, it’s easier to fully enjoy your trip knowing that you have a backup plan if any cancellations or health issues disrupt your itinerary. SafeTrip insurance coverage means you’re ready for medical, emergency or trip cancellation surprises, with several options available depending on your vacation.
If you’re taking on particularly challenging sports activities, there’s even an add-on to cover you for extreme sports such as scuba diving during a sunny winter vacation, just covering your valuable equipment in case it gets lost along the way. Learn more about what UnitedHealthcare Global covers, and how it can help your winter trip be the most carefree and delightful yet.
*Policy availability varies.
This website contains highlights of the plans, which include travel insurance coverages underwritten by Centurion Casualty Company or H&W Indemnity SPC Ltd. for and on behalf of Global Solutions SP. The plans also contain non-insurance Travel Assistance Services provided by United Healthcare Services Inc., or its applicable affiliate operating as United Healthcare Global. Claims Administration is provided by Co Ordinated Benefit Plans, Inc.. Coverages may vary under applicable law and not all coverage is available in all jurisdictions. Insurance coverages are subject to the terms, limitations and exclusions in the plan, including an exclusion for pre-existing conditions. UnitedHealthcare Global does not guarantee clinical outcomes. UnitedHealthcare Global does is not responsible for the content of third-party websites and links to such websites do not imply recommendation, approval or endorsement of that website.